Baked, breaded eggplant is worth the effort. The combination of the crisp eggplant, sliced tomatoes and poached eggs make it the perfect breakfast. Eggplant can be breaded and baked the night before to save time.
What You'll Need
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Cut the eggplant into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Lightly salt the slices and stack on a plate and let sit for an hour.
- Mix together the egg and 1 tsp water in a small bowl. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flour, oregano, sea salt and pepper.
- Drain and dry the eggplant slices with paper towel. Dip the slices in the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure slices are well coated on both sides.
- Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until brown. Flip over and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Place the slices on a plate. Top with a slice of tomato and serve with poached eggs.
To poach the eggs: Bring water to a boil. Gently crack an egg and place it in a small bowl. Gently place in the boiling water and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Tip: Spice it up by serving with your favorite hot sauce such as Sriracha sauce.
You may also be interested in...
Baked Tomato White Fish with Cucumber Sauce
A simple dish to prepare, as the tomatoes are roasted together with the fish, eliminating multiple dishes. The avocado sauce flavored with lime juice provides a perfect complement.
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Medium
Pumpkin Waffles with Berries
Have some fun with this tasty morning breakfast for the pumpkin lover in your home. Pumpkin waffles and all the berries you want! What could go wrong?
Skill level: Easy